Check marks will appear next to each message you send. Here's what each one indicates:
- Message successfully sent.
- Message successfully delivered to the recipient's phone.
- The recipient has read your message.
In a group chat, the second check mark appears when all participants in the group have received your message. The two blue check marks appear when all participants in the group have read your message.
For any message that you send, you'll be able to see a Message info screen, displaying the details of when your message was delivered, read or played by the recipient.
To see the Message info screen:
- Open a chat with a contact or group.
- Tap and hold your sent message.
- Tap. Alternatively, you might have to tap the Menu button > Info.
The Message info screen shows:
- Delivered when your message is delivered to your recipient's phone, but the recipient hasn't yet seen it.
- Read or Seen when the recipient has read your message or seen your picture, audio file or video. For a voice message, the recipient has seen but hasn't yet played it.
- Played when the recipient has played your voice message.
Note: When a participant leaves a group, the Message info screen will still show the original information with all participants, including the participant who left the group.
Learn more about the Message info screen on: iOS | Web
Missing Read Receipts
If you don't see two blue check marks next to your sent message, there could be several reasons:
- You or your recipient might have disabled read receipts in the privacy settings.
- The recipient might have blocked you.
- The recipient's phone might be off.
- The recipient might not have opened your conversation.
- You or the recipient might be experiencing connection issues.
Turning off Read Receipts
To turn off your read receipts, go to Menu button > Settings > Account > Privacy and uncheck Read receipts.
Note: This won't disable the read receipts for group chats or play receipts for voice messages. There's no way to turn these settings off.